There is a point every Bedford winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help cut back and decrease drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to pinpoint your Bedford home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in strange locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with operable capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Test the installation by establishing if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Bedford to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to address the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Bedford a call at 603-228-3352 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.